Why You Need Us
A good, realistic design takes your ideas and turns them into a solid, practical plan to build your dream kitchen. Your design will tell us the location of each appliance, dimensions of the room and surfaces, and the desired color of each cabinet. It will be a reflection of your personality, taste, budget and how you will utilize your upgraded space.
How can a designer help me?
Working with a kitchen designer will give you the opportunity to put your ideas into action and create a plan for your kitchen that goes above and beyond your expectations. Having a designer construct a plan for your space ensures that an expert has considered all obstacles and possibilities to make your kitchen stunning and functional for your needs. With knowledge and experience in the field, a kitchen designer is able to help you establish and execute a plan for your kitchen that avoids mistakes and obstacles that may otherwise be overlooked. It is critical to avoid making mistakes that affect the functionality and structure of your cabinets, which can easily be done without the knowledge a designer has to offer. Work with one of our designers today to avoid costly, and unnecessary corrections later on. To conclude, can you think of any reasons not to take advantage of working with our kitchen designers for free?
What's the value of a kitchen designer?
1. Functionality: The most important job the designer has is to make sure your space is functional. They take into consideration measurements, space, light, and your workspace. This means that they will work with you to integrate the spatial constraints of your kitchen with your personal needs. Defining the functionality of the space can require knowing something as simple as whether you're left-handed, how many cooks you have in the kitchen, or even maintaining a wheelchair accessible space.
2. Aesthetics: Kitchen designers are different from interior designers, but they certainly are up-to-date on trends, styles, and colors to suit your tastes. The key components of their skills lay in knowing how to work with specifications and configurations, their ability to use a space to its fullest potential, and their ability to piece together odds and ends of different kitchen layouts to make the space outstanding. A good designer can consider any odd corner and envision how to work it into your kitchen masterpiece.
How will I benefit when I sign up for a design?
A kitchen design from Discount Custom Cabinets comes in an thorough plan the includes:
- A custom designed kitchen layout including a floor plan and exact measurements
- Colored 3D renderings of your kitchen
- A final quote with details for each cabinet
How do I get started with a designer?
We have a number of designers here ready to start working with you. You take the first step by measuring the spatial elements of your kitchen.
After you submit your measurement form and contact information, a designer will contact you to discuss your project: including your vision, your measurements, and what you are hoping to accomplish from this project. They will ask you some questions similar to the following:
- Are you planning to move any walls?
- Have you determined your budget?
- What styles have caught your eye?
- Do you know the sizes of the appliances that will be sharing this space?
After your initial contact, you will receive a design within 2 to 7 days. You can change your design as many times as needed until it is exactly what you're aiming for. Most people complete their kitchen design within 30 days, but our main goal is for you to love your kitchen, so we can work together until we create your perfect space.
What can make a kitchen that is functional, safe, and appealing?
A kitchen designer, of course!
Like we said before, there are many things to consider when designing a functional kitchen. Our designers take careful consideration of the spatial elements to ensure you get what you need from your kitchen.
Work Space: The main work spaces of a kitchen are the cooktop, the sink, and the refrigerator. A good designer knows the preferred distances between these spaces and knows how to arrange the space in a way that optimizes your performance in the kitchen.
Traffic Control: Sometimes you don't realize how important it is to have enough space in your kitchen until you don't have enough. Work aisles should be at least 42 inches for one cook, and at least 48 inches for more. Walkway widths should be at least 36 inches. Doors and doorways should be at least 32 in. wide, and shouldn’t interfere with work centers. A designer can help you hit these marks and more!
Clearance: Vertical clearance space also needs considered when designing the perfect kitchen. Between countertops and cabinets, at least 15 inches in needed. Between cooking surfaces and range hoods, at least 24 inches. Also, any kitchen seating areas should have enough clearance between the counters, tables, and the seats.
Landing Areas: Your main work spaces (sink, refrigerator, and cooktop) all require a different amount of adjacent open countertop space. These landing areas are necessary for placing dishes, cookware, and food.
Storage: Kitchens are each unique in that differently sized kitchens require different amounts of countertop and cabinet storage areas. For countertops, a total of about 158 inches of frontage is needed. The recommended shelf and drawer frontage for storage is 1,400 inches for a small kitchen (150 square feet or less); 1,700 inches for a medium kitchen (151 to 350 square feet); and 2,000 inches for a large kitchen (more than 350 square feet).
Safety Considerations: There are many things to consider when calculating safety measures. For instance, do not place the cooking surface under a window, or any window with flammable treatments or covers. The fire extinguisher should be located near the exit of the kitchen, away from cooking equipment. Also, commercial appliances should not be installed in residential kitchens.